Nuffield International Farming Scholars is pleased to announce that applications for 2019 scholarships are now open, and farmers and agricultural professionals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Prospective Nuffield Scholars are men and women in agriculture with a desire to explore the global industry and find new best practices and insight they can bring back home with them. Nuffield Scholars are typically between the ages of 25 and 45, with direct engagement in the agriculture industry. Applications for the 2019 program are due by Sunday 30 September 2018.
With a program history that dates back to 1947, Nuffield Scholars are globally recognized farmers and agricultural professional hailing from more than ten countries. Up to 85 Nuffield Scholars are selected annually across more than ten countries, providing each participant with personal capacity building experiences through global travel and networking, as well as focused individual research efforts.
Through this experience, Nuffield Scholars are equipped with experiences and knowledge to effect progressive change in their industry and community.
Upon selection, Nuffield Scholars will travel the world, participating in both large and small group study tours along with individual research experiences linked to their preferred study topic of choice.
The global exposure and network provides Nuffield Scholars with the opportunity to grow personally, implement operational changes at the business level and share their new knowledge with other producers and the larger agriculture sector.
Following a selection process in 2018, The Nuffield Scholarship experience begins in March 2019, with participation in the one-week Nuffield Contemporary Scholars Conference (CSC), to be held in Iowa State, USA.
From there, Scholars undertake a six-week group travel program – called the Nuffield Global Focus Program – in a smaller group of eight-to-ten Scholars in either March/April or June/July (2019).
They also complete eight weeks of travel on their Individual Research Program at their discretion, to investigate the topic of their choice. A culminating report is submitted by each Nuffield Scholar, giving them an opportunity to contribute to the support of other agriculturalists around the world by sharing what they have learned.
The Nuffield International Board is excited to provide this call for applications for 2019 and encourages farmers and agriculturalists to apply.
Through the Nuffield International program, agriculturalists can connect with other Scholars from the United Kingdom, Australia, Brazil, Canada, France, Ireland, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Zimbabwe, South Africa, USA and other invited nations.
Nuffield Scholars connect with industry leaders traveling with them in 2019, as well as a global network of more than 1,700 Scholars around the world.
NI Scholarships marked with * are available subject to funding being confirmed.
- Supported by TIAA-CREF Global Agriculture – open to farmers and agribusiness professionals from USA, Brazil and Chile. The applicant must nominate to study one of the following topics:
- Disruption to conventional farming systems from new technology.
- Models for institutional investors capital to provide opportunities for young and family farmers.
- Mixed farming systems and their relevance in sustainable farming systems in the future.
- Natural capital / valuing natural capital and its intrinsic contribution to land values.
- Quality standards and certification as a reference of sustainability and their importance to farmers and landowners.
- How to maintain and Improve Soil Health
- Sustainable Water Use Practices (Irrigation).
- Supported by Nufarm – open to a Brazilian farmer or agricultural professional
- Supported by Grupo Bom Futuro* – open to Brazilian farmers and agribusiness professionals with a focus on biological solutions for large-scale production systems
- Supported by Cooperfibra Cooperative* – open for a Brazilian farmer and agribusiness professional directly involved in Cooperfibra, or someone able to directly add long-term value to the cooperative
- Supported by a group of Brazilian companies* – open to Brazilian farmers and agribusiness professionals
- Supported by Iowa Corn, Iowa Soybeans Association, Iowa Pork, and Iowa Farm Bureau* – open to Iowa farmers and agribusiness professionals
- Supported by a US company – open to USA farmers and agribusiness professionals to study labor efficiency in permanent planting primary production
- Supported by a Delaware coalition of farmers, the agricultural industry and farm organizations* – open for a Delaware farmer or agricultural professional to study one of the following topics:
- Advances in broiler production
- Production and profit improvement in grain and soybean production
- Synergies for agriculture/environment intersection
- Supported by a US Organic Coalition* – open to organic farmers and agribusiness professionals in the USA
- Supported by a coalition of agricultural industry and farm organizations in the country of Georgia* – open to a Georgian farmer or agricultural professional
- Supported by an Armenian coalition of agricultural industry and farm organizations* – open to an Armenian farmer or agricultural professional
For more information, or to apply, visit www.nuffieldinternational.org
IN THE USA:
Ms Jean Lonie
Nuffield International Honorary Ambassador – USA
Director of Student Recruitment and Activities
College of Agricultural Sciences
The Pennsylvania State University
101 Agricultural Administration Building
University Park, PA 16802
Ph: +1 (814) 865-7521
Ms Sally Thomson
Nuffield International Honorary Ambassador – Brazil
Associação Nuffield Brasil – Executive Officer
Ph: +55 61 99640-8888
IN OTHER COUNTRIES:
Mr. James Geltch, AM
Chief Executive Officer Nuffield International
Ph: +61 (0) 412 696 076
Other Country Contacts
Please visit the Nuffield International website to review a list of contacts in each Nuffield Country.